30 second summary:
- Consumers are becoming increasingly aware of how they shop, with an increased focus on small, minority, female and black-owned businesses.
- Shopping this year has more sentimental value as shoppers look for a morale boost. Almost half (43%) of consumers used the shopping to cheer up family and friends.
- Mastercard predicted that 77% of Americans will shop locally, while 75% of consumers would prefer to shop with companies that share their personal values.
- Email and content marketing were pillars for brands until 2020. This will be a critical factor in any company’s success in 2021.
- Email marketing has an average ROI four times higher than any other channel, with APAC having the highest open rates and EMEA having the highest click-through rate.
- The seven most important industries in terms of open rates and click rate were identified.
- The top priorities businesses must have for email marketing in 2021.
- Lead generation, website traffic, and building brand awareness are the top three priorities in content marketing.
- 56% of companies spent between $ 10,000 and $ 25,000 on content marketing.
- Website analysis tools and SEO tools were the two most common technologies used in content marketing.
- In 2020, 69% of companies created content for “Top of the Funnel”.
- A drilldown of content marketing as a strategy and what makes content successful in terms of strategy, views, approvals, and more. Read on to unlock these insights.
We are finally approaching the end of 2020 and as we as people, consumers and brands have learned, unlearned and adapted to a lot of dynamics, this week we will be walking you through the pillars of brand success in 2020 – via email Marketing and Content Marketing. Their role in a more conscious consumer’s mind, best practices, and statistics on what worked and what didn’t. Read on for a 20/20 strategic vision for 2021.
Changed purchasing attitudes of consumers
Consumers have shown exceptional resilience and adaptability to the pandemic and retail trade. Mastercard, a global payments giant, emphasized that consumers are becoming more aware of their shopping options, with an increased focus on small, minority, women and black owned businesses.
In fact, shopping has more sentimental value this year as shoppers look for a morale boost. Almost half (43%) of consumers used shopping to cheer up family and friends, while 40% went shopping to get themselves in the holiday mood.
Mastercard predicted that 77% of Americans will shop locally, while 75% of consumers would prefer to shop with companies that share their personal values this holiday season. In fact, consumers would rather not receive a gift than accept one purchased from a retailer that does not match their personal values.
Some key results from the Mastercard study were:
- Total US retail sales increased 4.1% for the extended holiday season from October 11th to December 24th compared to the same period last year
- 64% of consumers will actively avoid giving away cash this year
- 52% of respondents plan to send more gifts to loved ones at home to avoid face-to-face contact (emphasizing the importance of free shopping for online retailers).
- 59% intend to spend the same or more money on holiday shopping (2020 versus 2019)
- Almost half (43%) say they spend more on Christmas gifts because they didn’t spend as much as usual over the course of 2020
- 82% said they will likely shop online this year
“While the holidays may look different this year, one thing is clear: Americans shop with a different perspective.”
said Linda Kirkpatrick, President of US Issuers at Mastercard
Top cities by vacation shopping spend
Mastercard Spending Pulse analysis of retail sales in the top 20 metropolitan areas, where total retail sales rose 4.1% in October and cities like Atlanta, Houston and Orlando led the retail rebound.
As consumers become increasingly aware of their shopping preferences and habits, it will be a high priority for brands to have transparency and maintain the same communication and language across all channels.
As content and email marketing were considered pillars for brands through 2020, these factors will lead businesses to success in 2021.
E-mail marketing: Overview of services for strategy 2020 and 2021
Email marketing has an average ROI that is four times higher than any other channel. Sendinblue, digital marketing for SMEs, analyzed the data of 691 companies from 25 industries in 46 countries over a period of one year / until 2020 in order to publish its data Email Marketing Industry Report for 2020. Here is the overview of email marketing in a snapshot.
- Q1 – The open rate peaked at 28.05% in March while the click-through rate remained low
- Q2 – CTR hit a high of 6.45% in June. The interest in offers and emails increased significantly
- Q3 – The best time to update your contact lists, set up automation workflows, or A / B tests on your mailings as the majority of users ignore email during the summer vacation
- Q4 – Fewer campaigns were sent compared to the previous half year. The email volume peaks in November. Airtime is essential.
The most important results included regional characteristics and details about the best airtime for B2B and B2C companies:
- APAC: Highest open rates, but lowest click rate
- EMEA: Low open rate, but highest click rate
- America: Average open rates and click-through rates, but the lowest unsubscribe rate (indicating more brand loyalty to APAC and EMEA)
- APAC sends the most email (47.1% of total email volume) and also has the highest bounce rate
- “Fashion / Beauty” has the highest volume with 796 sent campaigns, which corresponds to 554 more campaigns than the median.
- “Insurance” has the lowest volume with just 70 campaigns sent, 172 less than the median.
- The best days for B2B email were Monday and Tuesday early in the morning
- The best days for B2C email were afternoons during the week and weekends
Top seven industries in terms of CTR
- Media / Publishing (9.34%)
- Insurance (8.58%)
- Household / garden (7.81%)
- Electronics / hardware (7.68%)
- Association (association / religions) (7.38%)
- Healthcare / Fitness / Food (7.17%)
- Fashion / Beauty (7.06%)
Top seven industries in terms of open rate
- Marketing / Advertising (38.10%)
- Association (association / religions) (36.75%)
- Insurance (36.25%)
- Electronics / hardware (31.35%)
- Gambling / Lottery (30.70%)
- Event / entertainment (27.70%)
- Agency / advice (26.25%)
Top Priorities for Email Marketing 2021
- GDPR compliant registration form
- Variations of the sender ID ([email protected], [email protected], [email protected])
- Personalization of subject lines, CTAs, language style and content
- Direct language and strong verbs
- Align link description and target
- Link the full information for further reading
- Automate the exclusion list to save time
Content Marketing: Overview of services for strategy 2020 and 2021
SEMrush recently launched their ‘Global Status of Content Marketing 2020 Report‘, who surveyed 600,000+ tweets, 1,200,000+ blog posts, and 1,500+ marketers around the world. Here are some key results:
- Almost 84% of respondents have a content strategy
- Lead generation, website traffic, and building brand awareness are the top three priorities in content marketing
- 56% of companies spent between $ 10,000 and $ 25,000 on content marketing
- Only 11% rate their content strategy as “excellent”.
- Website analysis tools and SEO tools were the two most common technologies used in content marketing
- In 2020, 69% of companies created content for “Top of the Funnel”
- Strategy development is one of the three most important skills a content marketer needs
- SEO is the most discussed topic (18.32%)
- #DigitalMarketing is the most used hashtag (71%)
- #SEO is the second most popular hashtag (62%)
- Articles with more than 7000 words have almost three times more page views and 43% more shares than articles with 900 to 1200 words
- Clear structures (H2 + H3 + H4) help improve content performance
- A list per 500 plaintext words has 70% more traffic than posts without lists
What Were The Most Effective Ways To Use Content Marketing In 2020?
These were the top five tactics used by digital marketing teams:
- Reuse content
- Instructions / educational content
- Optimize the customer journey
- Video / visual content
Top topics around content marketing
The three main topics were – strategy, SEO and social media. While tools, trends, AI and content ideas were discussed less about topics.
Tweets that win
Time is the name of the game for Twitter. What types of tweets won the sweet spot on Twitter users’ timelines and devices?
Top Google Searches Related to Content Marketing
Although Google has been making the rounds on social media recently, we can understand why – Google almost makes it 5.6 billion searches per day! Back to content marketing and search queries, these were the top three Google searches that SEMrush recorded:
- Content Marketing Strategy
- Content marketing agency
- Examples of content marketing
What kind of content works best?
In terms of unique pageviews, articles with more than 3000 to 7000 words work well. However, articles with the highest divisibility fell between two categories: 1501 to 2000 words and 5001 to 7000+ words.
If you’re looking to get backlinks, articles in the 1201 to 1500 word range have supported these criteria.
The headlines that performed best in terms of unique pageviews, approvals, and backlinks were in the following formats:
- How one
The best performing headings (H1 tags) ranged from 10 to 13 words, followed by 14 word headings.
6-7 image content had the best results in gaining unique pageviews and approvals.
For brands looking to win with video content in their articles, adding 1-3 videos fell below the healthy threshold for gaining backlinks, unique pageviews, and approvals.
PickZ readers for the week
2020 was cold and marketers were hungry for insights year-round. This week, our readers toasted their marketing marshmallows on the flame of 2021 predictions for retail and digital marketing, with some good thoughts emerging from our interview with marketing directors – eBay, IBM Watson, FILA and Salesforce. Good Appetite!
- The forecast for digital marketing for 2021
- Top marketers highlight 5 common topics about the 2020 business impact
- Five retail and marketing trends for 2021