January 22, 2021· ·4 min read
Do you need to record your computer screen or phone? Learn how to view recordings on the screen on Mac, Windows PC, Chromebook, iPhone and Android devices step by step.
Almost every device – Mac, Windows PC, Chromebook, iPhone, and Android – has a built-in way to record your screen, but each is different.
If you are an iPhone or Mac user, you have probably noticed that it is pretty easy to record your screen in just a few steps. If you’re using a Windows PC, you may have to leave old school and use something like PowerPoint. (Yes, really.) And Lord, help anyone trying to record on an older and not a developer Android device.
Whether you want to capture screen captures on a mobile device or on your desktop, we have it for you. Below are step-by-step instructions on how to record your screen.
The features built into these devices and operating systems are good options, but you may need to go beyond basic screen recording. If you are looking for additional features (like editing or multiple recording options), be sure to check out our post on the best screen recorders.
- 1. How to record your screen
- 2. So screen capture on Mac
- 2.1Native Screen Record on Mac
- 2.2QuickTime Screen Record on Mac
- 3. How to take a screen capture in Windows
- 3.1 PowerPoint screen capture
- 3.2 Screen recording Windows 10 (The Xbox App)
- 4. How to take a screen capture on a Chromebook
- 4.1Vidyard Chrome extension on Chromebook
- 5. How to take a screen capture on iPhone
- 6. How to take a screen capture on Android
- 6.1Screen Record on Android 11 or higher
- 6.2Screen Record on older Android devices
How to record your screen
Simply put, a screen capture is when you capture a video of what is happening on your device’s screen.
There are a number of reasons you might want to record your screen. You can use it to demonstrate how your product works, catch a bug you want to report to your developer or IT team, teach a colleague how to do something, build personal connections with prospects, and share feedback with someone – you can even use to save yourself from writing a long email.
If you want to record your computer screen, you can either use a built-in screen recording feature or download screen recording software or a tool.
Most built-in screen recorders can:
- Record a video of what is happening on the screen
- Record sound
- Save the video either on your device or in the cloud
Some screen recording programs (like Vidyard’s Chrome extension) go a step further and allow you to record a webcam video of yourself that appears in a bubble next to your screen recording so you can personalize your explanation.
Screen capture on Mac
If you’re on macOS Mojave or higher, there’s a built-in feature for recording your screen that’s as easy as pressing a hotkey. (That’s why people like Macs.)
Native Screen Record on Mac
- Press command + shift + 5
- Choose to capture the entire screen, a window, or a selection (otherwise the entire screen will be recorded automatically).
- When you’re done, click stop to stop recording
- Your recording will be displayed as a thumbnail in the lower right corner of your screen. Click on it to choose where to save the video
QuickTime Screen Record on Mac
Alternatively, you can use QuickTime, which is native to all Macs:
- Open QuickTime
- Choose file and then New screen recording
- Click the red recording Start button
- Click to stop recording press again
- Click to save file then save up
Pro tip: If you just need to save a screenshot on a Mac, press command + shift + 4th and select the area you want to capture.
Screen recording under Windows
Screen recording is not a built-in feature on a Windows PC as it is on a Mac. The easiest way to record your screen on Windows is to use PowerPoint.
PowerPoint screen recording
- Open PowerPoint
- Press the Insert Tab and select Screen recording
- Select the area you want to record. To select the entire screen, press Windows Key + shift + F.
- Press the recording Press the or key Windows + shift + R.
- Click to stop recording stop
- When it’s over, you can save the recording as a video file (separate from the PowerPoint presentation).
Screen Recording Windows 10 (The Xbox App)
Microsoft preloads the Xbox game bar on Windows devices so you can record video games, but it works just as well for businesses.
- Type “Xbox” in the Windows search bar and open the app
- Stop Windows + G on your keyboard
- click Yes, this is a game
- First click on recording or press Windows + Old + R.
- Click to exit stop
Pro tip: In Windows 10, if you just need to take a screenshot, press Ctrl + PrntScrnSelect the area that you want to capture and share.
How to view screen recordings on Chromebooks
Chromebooks don’t have a native screen recorder installed, but all you need to record your screen is a good Chrome extension.
Vidyard’s Chrome extension is very easy to install. Once installed, the extension allows you to quickly record and share videos right from your web browser. You also have easy access to your existing library as well as a notification feed to keep track of incoming video views.
Vidyard Chrome Extension on Chromebook
- Select the Vidyard extension in the top right corner of your browser
- Choose the Recording type that you selected (this determines what will be recorded in your video)
- Screen: Records the entire screen of your computer
- Camera: Record a video with your webcam (a selfie-style video)
- Screen + camera: Records screen and camera at the same time
- Do one Audio test to indicate that your microphone is working and can pick up sound. To change the microphone or camera you are recording with, use the drop-down menus to select another available input source
- When you are satisfied with the recording options you selected, click Start recording
How to check the recording using the Vidyard Chrome extension
You can record videos and screen recordings in a few simple steps.
How to Record on iPhone
Most iPhones have a native screen capture feature.
- Go to the settings, control center, Customize controlsand tap + next to screen recording
- Swipe up from the bottom of the screen (if you’re using an iPhone X, swipe down from the top-right corner of the screen).
- Long press the circle record button and tap microphone to enable audio recording
- Once you do, you can tap Start recording
- If you’ve turned your microphone on previously (or don’t want to record audio), just tap the circle record button (it will countdown three seconds before your recording begins).
- A red one recording The bar will appear at the top of the screen when your recording starts. When you’re done, tap this bar to bring up the bar Stop screen recording? possibility
- Tap stop to stop recording (or press Cancel Continue recording)
- You can find your picture in your photo app
Pro tip: If all you need to do is take a screenshot on iPhone, hold down the iPhone home button and press the power button on the side. If you have an iPhone X or later, hold the Lock and Volume Up buttons at the same time.
How to Record Screen Capture on Android
Screen recording on Android 11 or higher
Starting with Android 11, native screen recording is included as an option and is located in the quick settings area of your device.
- Go to Quick settings (or search for) “Screen Recorder”
- Tap the app to open it
- Choose your sound and video quality settings and click Done
- The first time you record, you will be asked for permission to access your device, asked to choose your sound settings, and given the option to do so Cancel or Start recording
- Press Start recording
- Press the square stop button when you’re done recording
- You can find your picture in your gallery or photo app
Screen recording on older Android devices
If you’re using an older version of Android, you might be able to take screen recordings, but finding and activating it requires some digging. To enable screen recording, you need to enable developer mode of your Android device.
- Go to the settings, Via phoneand tap Build number Button seven times – it will say: “You are now a developer!”
- Return to the settings and select Advanced developer options, then Feature flags
- Switch settings_screenrecord_long_press
- You are now ready to record your screen
- Long press the screenshot button to bring up a pop-up menu
- Tap Start recording (A new popup will appear.)
- Tap start now
- To exit, tap stop
- The video will appear in your default photo gallery
Pro tip: If you just need to take a screenshot on Android, press and hold the power button and the volume down button at the same time.
If you need to go beyond basic screen recording and are looking for the best screen recorder for your business (free and paid), be sure to check out our post on the best screen recorders.
This post was originally published on October 1, 2019. It was updated on January 22, 2021.
Chris Gillespie is the author and founder of Find A Way Media, which helps great companies create killer marketing content. Chris is based in Brooklyn and has sold SaaS technology solutions for years. Now he’s helping these companies develop their content marketing strategies.