10 Jun Important (and Shocking) Social Media Statistics to Inform Your Technique
What position do social media stats and info play in your day-to-day?
Plus, you by no means know if you’ll want a superb trivia tidbit to impress at a celebration.
On this publish, we hope you’ll discover all of it: each the essential stats and info to tell your social media choices plus some social media numbers that may shock and entertain.
Preserve studying to see the numbers on social media demographics, utilization, developments, and rather more. We hope these statistics and info will arm you with the information you could construct a good stronger social media technique.
Social media statistics and info, general
Our first grouping of social media statistics could be very meta: it’s concerning the state of social media itself. We thought we’d start by taking a hen’s eye view of the social media panorama earlier than zooming into every social community specifically. To start with, try these numbers for social media utilization worldwide:
Social media utilization worldwide
For context, as of Might 2019, complete worldwide inhabitants is 7.7 billion. In order that implies that 57 p.c of the world’s inhabitants is on the web. Extra persons are on-line than those that aren’t on-line.
And so far as social media utilization goes,
- 45 p.c of the world is on social media
- If in case you have the web, there’s an 80 p.c likelihood you might have a social media account, too.
Sure, and it will get much more mind-blowing.
The preferred social networks
It’s attention-grabbing to understand how many individuals – complete – are on social, however how about the place these social media customers spend their time. If you wish to play alongside, go forward and take into consideration the order of the highest 10 social networks with essentially the most persons. Remember, these are complete person counts, not essentially lively customers, which not all social networks reveal.
All these person numbers are the most up-to-date ones we might discover on-line. Please do tell us within the feedback should you’ve seen a newer statistic.
- Fb — 2.Four billion customers
- YouTube — 1.9 billion customers
- WhatsApp — 1.6 billion customers
- Instagram (tie) — 1 billion customers
- WeChat (tie) — 1 billion customers
- TikTok — 800 million customers
- LinkedIn — 610 million customers
- Reddit — 542 million customers
- Twitter — 330 million customers
- Pinterest — 265 million customers
Subsequent, we’ll drill down into some particular demographics of those networks, beginning with Fb.
Fb demographic statistics
The gender cut up of Fb customers barely favors ladies. The precise breakdown is 54% ladies and 46% males. This ratio additionally seems if you take a look at Fb utilization amongst web customers: 62% of all males who’re on-line have a Fb account, whereas 72 p.c of girls who’re on-line are additionally on Fb.
Amongst U.S. residents, right here’s the breakdown of Fb utilization by age:
- 51% of 13-17 12 months olds use Fb
- 81% of 18-29 12 months olds use Fb
- 78% of 30-49 12 months olds use Fb
- 65% of 50-64 12 months olds use Fb
- 41% of 65+ 12 months olds use Fb
And likewise amongst U.S. residents, right here’s how Fb utilization varies in accordance with the place you reside.
- 75% of adults dwelling in city areas use Fb
- 67% of adults dwelling in suburban areas use Fb
- 58% of adults dwelling in rural areas use Fb
Instagram demographic statistics
Instagram tends to have a number of the most highly-publicized of statistics as their bulletins about utilization are likely to make headlines. You’ve most likely heard a number of the latest ones:
The most important demographic group on Instagram is males between 18 and 24 years previous. In reality, the 18-to-24 age group makes up 75% of all customers on Instagram.
The Pew numbers bear this out as properly. Pew attracts its demographic strains between 18 and 29 years previous. In response to their U.S. figures,
- 64% of 18-29 12 months olds use Instagram
- 40% of 30-49 12 months olds use Instagram
- 21% of 50-64 12 months olds use Instagram
- 10% of 65+ 12 months olds use Instagram
And listed here are the stats on location demographics.
Within the U.S.,
- 42% of adults dwelling in city areas use Instagram
- 34% of adults dwelling in suburban areas use Instagram
- 25% of adults dwelling in rural areas use Instagram
Whereas the U.S. is the nation that makes use of Instagram essentially the most, are you able to guess the remainder of the highest three?
Quantity two is Brazil and quantity three is India. Each have greater than 60 million customers.
Twitter demographic statistics
Once more in accordance with our pals at Pew, that is how Twitter ranks when it comes to utilization by age group:
- 32% of 13-17 12 months olds use Twitter
- 40% of 18-29 12 months olds use Twitter
- 27% of 30-49 12 months olds use Twitter
- 19% of 50-64 12 months olds use Twitter
- 8% of 65+ 12 months olds use Twitter
It’s attention-grabbing to see how the ages skew youthful on Twitter, and people percentages are notable in distinction to Fb and Instagram, which have large percentages.
LinkedIn demographic statistics
LinkedIn’s demographics have a pair attention-grabbing variations from the social networks we’ve coated already. First, listed here are the age demographics:
- 29% of 18-29 12 months olds use LinkedIn
- 33% of 30-49 12 months olds use LinkedIn
- 24% of 50-64 12 months olds use LinkedIn
- 9% of 65+ 12 months olds use LinkedIn
Sure, and the place issues get attention-grabbing is when wanting on the stats for training and earnings demographics.
By way of training demographics:
And equally, with earnings,
And, only for enjoyable,
Clearly these numbers are on the prime of the charts for social networks for these demographics, which is smart with the profession emphasis that’s positioned on LinkedIn.
Pinterest demographic statistics
As lots of you already know, Pinterest is related to a majority-women viewers. There’s a lot of methods to take a look at the numbers behind this. These stats from Pew inform a reasonably good story:
- 41% of girls who’re on-line use Pinterest. In the meantime
- 16% of on-line males use Pinterest
And when it comes to age breakdown …
- 34% of 18-29 12 months olds use Pinterest
- 34% of 30-49 12 months olds use Pinterest
- 26% of 50-64 12 months olds use Pinterest
- 16% of 65+ 12 months olds use Pinterest
A few bonus stats we love about Pinterest is how properly the platform ties into purchasing. Over 175 billion gadgets have been pinned on Pinterest, and almost two in three pinners — 61% — have made a purchase order after seeing one thing they like on Pinterest.
Snapchat demographic statistics
And lots of of you already know the demographics which can be mostly related to Snapchat. Because the numbers inform it, Snapchat’s viewers is younger.
- 69% of 13-17 12 months olds use Snapchat
- 68% of 18-29 12 months olds use Snapchat
The numbers fall off a cliff after that time. 26% of 30-49 12 months olds use Snapchat, 10% of 50-64 12 months olds use Snapchat, and three% of 65+ 12 months olds use Snapchat.
5 stunning social media statistics and info
Solely 8% of their prospects agree.
(It is a good reminder that Snapchat and TikTok and different “younger” social networks aren’t the one locations that youthful demographics spend their time.)
(Not precisely social-media-related, however wow, that’s a whole lot of content material to be shared!)
U.S. adults spend a median of 1 hour and 16 minutes every day watching video on digital gadgets. And this features a majority of the inhabitants: 78% of individuals watch on-line movies each week, and 55% watch each. day.
Learn how to say whats up to us
We might all like to say whats up to you on social media – particularly Twitter!
Benefit from the present? It’d imply the world to us should you’d be up for giving us a ranking and overview on iTunes!
About The Science of Social Media podcast
The Science of Social Media is your weekly sandbox for social media tales, insights, experimentation, and inspiration. Each Monday (and typically extra) we share essentially the most cutting-edge social media advertising ways from manufacturers and influencers in each business. For those who’re a social media staff of 1, enterprise proprietor, marketer, or somebody merely considering social media advertising, you’re certain to search out one thing helpful in each episode. It’s our hope that you simply’ll be a part of our 27,000+ weekly iTunes listeners and rock your social media channels because of this!